Skip to content
- Fantasy, Art and Life: Essays on George MacDonald, Robert Louis Stevenson and Other Fantasy Writers, (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011) [Sample]
- Death and Fantasy: Essays on George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis, Philip Pullman and R.L. Stevenson, (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008) [Sample]
- Fantasy, Myth and the Measure of Truth: Tales of Pullman, Lewis, Tolkien, MacDonald and Hoffmann, (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008)
- Robert Louis Stevenson: A Literary Life, (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004)
- C.S. Lewis (Writers and their Work) (Northcote House / British Council, 1998)
- Short Stories IV: Fables, Island Nights’ Entertainments by Robert Louis Stevenson, edited by William Gray (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, forthcoming)
- The World Treasury of Fairy Tales & Folklore, edited by William Gray, Joanna Gilar and Rose Williamson, illustrated by Fausto Bianchi (New York: Wellfleet Press, 2016)
- Persona and Paradox: Issues of Identity for C.S. Lewis, his Friends and Associates, edited by William Gray and Suzanne Bray. (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012)
- Introduction to Miracle Enough: Papers on the Works of Mervyn Peake, ed. Peter Winnington (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2013)
- Introduction to Robert Louis Stevenson’s Fables [PDF], (Glasgow: Association for Scottish Literary Studies, University of Glasgow, 2012)
- Introduction to Chichester Misericords, ed. Paul Foster (Chichester: Chichester Institute of Higher Education, 1998)
- ‘Susanna Clarke’, ‘Robert Louis Stevenson’, ‘Novalis’, ‘Romanticism’ and ‘The Victorian Tale’ (2016) In Folktales and Fairy Tales Traditions and Texts from around the World, 2nd Edition eds. Anne E. Duggan and Donald Haase, with Helen J. Callow.
- ‘Susanna Clarke’, ‘Robert Louis Stevenson’, and ‘Novalis’ (2007) in The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Folktales and Fairy Tales ed. Donald Haase.
- 2009. ‘Crossover fiction and narrative as therapy: George MacDonald’s Adela Cathcart’ in Barnboken (Journal of the Swedish Institute for Children’s Books), 32(9).
- 2008. ‘On the Road: R.L. Stevenson’s Views on Nature’ [PDF] in special eco-criticism edition of New Formations: a journal of culture/theory/politics
- 2007. ‘Pullman, Lewis, Macdonald and the anxiety of influence’ in Mythlore, 25(3)
- 2005. ‘A Source for the Trampling Scene in Jekyll And Hyde’ [PDF] in Notes and Queries, 52(4): 493–494.
- 2005. ‘The Incomplete Fairy Tales of Robert Louis Stevenson’[PDF] in the Journal of Stevenson Studies, 2.
- 2002. ‘Stevenson’s “Auld Alliance”: France, Art Theory and the Breath of Money in The Wrecker’ [PDF], Scottish Studies Review (Autumn 2002)
- 1996. ‘George MacDonald, Julia Kristeva, and the Black Sun’ [PDF] in Studies in English Literature 1500-1900
- 1997. ‘Death, Myth and Reality in C.S. Lewis’. [PDF] Journal of Beliefs & Values 18(2): 147–154.
- 1994. ‘Goethe’s The Metamorphosis of Plants : the issue of science and poetry’. Archives of Natural History, 21 (3): 379–391 (October 1994).
- 2018. ‘Print’. [PDF] In Routledge Companion to Media and Fairy-Tale Cultures, ed. Pauline Greenhill, Jill Terry Rudy, Naomi Hamer and Lauren Bosc (London: Routledge).
- 2009. ‘”Out of the everywhere into here”: Romanticism, Ecocriticism and Children’s Literature’ in Deep into Nature: Ecology, Environment and Children’s Literature (ed. Liz Thiel and Alison Waller) (Pied Piper Press)
- 2007. ‘Witches’ Time in Pullman, C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald’ in Time Everlasting: Representations Of Past, Present And Future In Children’s Literature. (ed. Pat Pinsent) (Pied Piper)
- 2007. ‘Pullman and MacDonald: (Great-great-)grandfather George’ in ‘A Noble Unrest’: Contemporary Essays on the Work of George MacDonald (ed. Jean Webb) (Cambridge Scholars Publishing)
- 1999. ‘Spirituality and the Pleasure of the Text: C.S. Lewis and the Act of Reading’ in English Literature, Theology and the Curriculum, ed. L. Gearon (Cassell)
- 1998. ‘The Angel in the House of Death: Gender and Subjectivity in George MacDonald’s Lilith’ in Women of Faith in Victorian Culture: reassessing ‘The Angel in the House’, ed Hogan and Bradstock (Macmillan)
- 1996. ‘Fantasia on Tarrant Street: George MacDonald in Arundel’ in Sussex Seams: A Collection of Travel Writing ed. Paul Foster (Chichester: Chichester Institute of Higher Education)
- 1990. God Gives the Growth: An Essay on Theology and Psychological Development. West Sussex Institute of Higher Education.
- 2014. Review of Magical Tales: Myth, Legend, and Enchantment in Children’s Books. Edited by Carolyne Larrington and Diane Purkiss. Oxford, UK: Bodleian Library, 2013. 200 pp. Marvels & Tales, 28(2).
- 2010. Review of Goethe’s The metamorphosis of plants. Introduction and photography by G. L. Miller. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, & London: 2009. [PDF] in Archives of Natural History, Volume 37 Issue 2: 364-365.
- 2009. Review of Lilith in a New Light: Essays on the George Macdonald Fantasy Novel. Ed. Lucas H. Harriman. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland, 2008. in Mythlore 27, 3/4, Spring/Summer 2009.